[Reading time: 19 seconds]
“The mass-exploitation of MOVEit Transfer software* has rapidly cemented itself as the largest hack of the year so far.”
This is according to a recent article in TechCrunch, which reports on the numbers involved, including:
- At least 1,000 organisations have had their data stolen.
- The theft included the data of over 60 million individuals.
- Over 30% of the victims were financial services organisations.
To look at this another way:
- Over 300 financial services organisations have now had to report a data breach because of a flaw in one of their third party systems.
- If you sell IT systems or SaaS services, you shouldn’t be surprised that you are being asked more detailed questions about your security controls.
You think you’re a solution.
They think you’re a risk.
* Progress Software’s MOVEit managed file transfer service is (or was!) used by thousands of organizations to securely transfer large amounts of often-sensitive files. The Clop ransomware gang found a vulnerability in the software to gain access to these files.