Who am I?
Hi, I am Sam Glynn, founder of Code in Motion.
After 20+ years working with many regulated firms and enterprises, I provide an outside view and independent perspective.
I help executives and board members to ensure their organisational and technical capabilities align to the needs of their business strategy.
My typical client
My typical client is an executive, board member or senior manager working for a regulated financial services firm, or working for an organisation that sells to regulated or enterprise clients.
I frequently get involved when:
- The organisation has a clearly-defined business strategy but there are concerns about whether it has the organisational or technical capabilities to deliver the strategy.
- It is facing a significant investment decision (e.g. system upgrade or replacement) and needs assistance to make an informed decision.
- It is experiencing poor service from an existing IT service provider and needs assistance to address the service issues or to find a better provider.
- The board or the executive team have concerns about the impact that a cybersecurity attack would have on the organisation – both the financial and reputational damage. They may also be seeing an increasing number of clients and prospects asking very detailed questions about their security measures. They want to ensure they have appropriate defences and response plans in place.
My clients are frequently concerned about burning time and money because:
- They start in the wrong place,
- They focus on the wrong risks,
- They are not sure what the desired ‘end state’ should be, or
- They engage the services of a large consultancy practice without the in-house oversight required to manage and control the engagement.
My client usually does not have the resources or budget to commit significant time or money to a wide-ranging organisational changes, or to implement and support major technology investments.
While they may have in-house IT expertise, this expertise needs to be focused on client work.
I do not publish a list of past or current clients but they are happy to provide references if you need them. In the meantime, you can get a sense of who I work with by looking at my connections on LinkedIn.
2012 – Present: IT and cybersecurity advisor to regulated financial services firms and their service providers. I use my technology, risk management and data protection experience to ensure my clients’ systems, structures and service providers are fit-for-purpose.
2011 – 2012: IT service delivery manager, representing the delivery of IT services by Bank of Ireland and IBM to Northern Trust and State Street Global Advisors.
2009 – 2010: IT programme manager in Bank of Ireland, leading a number of initiatives to try to upgrade and rollout various Microsoft technologies across what was a diverse organisation of 13,000+ staff.
2001 – 2008: IT development manager for BIAM. I led teams of software developers and analysts in the delivery of new systems and system enhancements to client servicing, finance and risk & compliance teams. I was also the IT relationship manager to these business areas, ensuring their current problems and future needs were being addressed by the IT function.
1997 – 2001: Software development & IT management roles in BIAM (Ireland’s largest investment manager at the time). This role included the implementation and integration of document management systems, as well as leading the design and development of numerous secure banking websites.
CISM [Pending certification] – Certified Information Security Manager
My academic qualifications
MSc Technology Management
BSc Computer Science
My current memberships
ISACA – Previously the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (www.isaca.org)
Association of Compliance Officers in Ireland (www.acoi.ie)
International Association of Privacy Professionals (www.iapp.org)
Cyber Ireland (www.cyberireland.ie)