It’s not about technology.
It’s about business outcomes.
Independent IT Advice for Board Members and Senior Executives
I enable board members and senior executives to secure, sustain and scale their organisations.
I assess and advise on the effective use of technology to support and enable business growth.
How can I help?
I work on behalf of an organisation’s board or senior management team, covering areas such as:
- IT security assessment: Assessing how protected the organisation is against the risk of cyber attack and financial fraud. Providing pragmatic advice on additional ways it can protect itself.
- Payment redirection fraud prevention: This crime cost Irish businesses €2m in April 2019 alone. I offer a guaranteed service to reduce the risk of an organisation falling victim to this crime.
- IT provider assessment: Reviewing the capabilities of current IT service provider(s) and how these align to the current and emerging needs of the organisation. Where necessary, helping the organisation to migrate to better alternatives.
- IT / strategy alignment: Reviewing the organisation’s current IT capabilities and how they align to the strategy and priorities of the business. Identifying actionable steps to move IT from being a constraint to being an enabler.
- Central Bank alignment: Ensuring a regulated entity’s technology and IT governance aligns to the Central Bank of Ireland’s expectations with regard to IT & cloud outsourcing.
Many of my clients seek my input when they fear their use of technology is lagging behind the needs of their organisation.
Who am I?
I am Sam Glynn.
I worked for 15 years in various IT management roles in investment management and pensions administration organisations. I have been providing independent IT guidance to businesses since 2012.
I provide pragmatic, actionable advice that moves IT from being a constraint to a capability that can secure, sustain and scale with the organisation.
How do I work?
I know technology but I speak plain English.
My clients engage me because I can help them solve business problems.
- I know technology: I have worked in IT for 20+ years. I have a BSc in Computer Science, MSc in Technology Management, and spent 15 years employed in various IT roles within the financial services industry. LinkedIn can tell you more.
- I know the regulated world: I am a Certified Data Protection Officer (CDPO) and designated member of the Association of Compliance Officers in Ireland (ACOI.IE). I am a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/E and CIPM) and member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). I know data protection, of which IT security is just one element. I also know what it takes to align to Central Bank guidance, and I know that what is a regulatory requirement today usually becomes common practice tomorrow.
- I know the real world: I worked for 15 years in corporate roles and I have run by own business as an independent IT adviser for over 7 years (including 2 years guiding ‘real’ businesses through the parallel universe of GDPR). I know the real world.
- I know how to communicate in plain English: I speak about business problems and technology solutions in plain English. I know you don’t want to hear about servers and software.
I prefer simple and proven strategies.
I focus on achieving a business outcome as quickly and simply as possible.
- I dislike ‘perfect’: I prefer a good solution that gets delivered quickly. In an ideal world, ‘perfect’ is better than ‘good’. In the real world, ‘perfect’ usually requires far more time and money, and the result can be complex and inflexible.
- I dislike ‘complex’: I prefer simple solutions because complexity usually means more cost and less reliability.
- I dislike ‘shiny’: I prefer solutions that re-use the technology you already have in your business. There are switching costs and risks associated with changing or implementing new technology. If I recommend a new technology, there will be very clear business reasons. At the end of the day, you need a solution, not more technology.
How you do anything is how you do everything.
The big things obviously matter. But I also know the importance of the small things.
- I know what I know: I will tell you if I don’t think I can help you. It does not help either of us if I work on a problem that cannot benefit from my knowledge and experience.
- I hate optimistic estimates and missed deadlines: I am pragmatic with estimates. When I state a completion date, it will be met.
- I hate the invisible man: If you email me (or call me when I can’t answer), I will always strive to respond to you within 24 hours (and probably sooner).
- I hate the unknown: If I state a fixed price (and I usually strive to do so), that will be the price you pay. I bear the risk of getting the price wrong.
Interested in a conversation?
If I might be someone that could help you now or in the future, let’s talk:
- Connect with me on LinkedIn.
- Call me at (01) 554 6268. If I am unable to answer, just leave your details and I will call you back.
- Get in touch using the form below.