It’s not about technology.
It’s about business outcomes.
Independent IT Adviser to the Board
I work on behalf of the Board and bridge the gap between those who speak technical jargon and those who need to hear plain English.
I independently assess an organisation’s IT capabilities and provide pragmatic guidance on how to ensure IT is fit-for-purpose and aligned to the Central Bank’s expectations.
When can I help?
I get involved when Board members are:
- Frustrated and impatient about the quality of IT in the organisation
- Concerned about their alignment to the Central Bank’s guidance on IT, cybersecurity and cloud outsourcing
- Uncertain about the questions to ask current providers, and
- Unsure about the accuracy and completeness of the responses received to these questions.
How can I help?
Reporting directly to the Board, I independently assess the organisation’s current technology environment and provide pragmatic guidance in plain English on the steps required to improve this current state.
My engagements vary depending on the concerns of the Board, but may include seeking answers to questions like:
- Is IT fit-for-purpose? I interrogate the current IT environment (and evaluate those who support it) to assess how these align to the needs of the organisation. I guide the Board on how gaps should be addressed.
- Is IT secure? I assess how IT is contributing to the organisation’s defences against cyber crime and payment fraud. I provide pragmatic advice to the Board on improvements it could make to improve these defences.
- Is IT aligned to Central Bank expectations? For regulated entities, I assess whether the organisation’s technology and governance align to the Central Bank of Ireland’s expectations, especially with regard to IT and cybersecurity and risk management, & outsourcing to the cloud.
I can also add to the Board’s breadth of experience, by being its technology subject matter expert. I use my 20+ years of technology experience to ensure information brought to the Board is accurate and complete, and to contribute my technology perspective to Board deliberations.
Who am I?
I am Sam Glynn. I have worked in IT for over 20 years.
I have worked in various IT management roles in the wholesale and retail financial services industry for 15 years. Since 2012, I have been providing independent IT guidance to businesses. LinkedIn can tell you more.
I know the questions to ask about technology and I know how to interpret and challenge the answers.
Am I the solution for you?
I work for the Board.
While I work with an organisation’s staff and service providers to truly understand what is going on, I have no allegiance to current solutions or previous decisions. My assessments and guidance are truly independent.
I only answer to the Board and I focus on the Board’s interests and concerns.
It is ‘me’, not ‘we’.
I do not have a bench of junior associates focused on filling chargeable hours.
I have many trusted and experienced 3rd parties who I can call on if I need their specific skills.
But if you choose to work with me, it will be me.
I know technology but I communicate in plain English.
I communicate regularly with Board members and senior business executives in plain English about technology problems and solutions.
Whiteboards, visuals and metaphors are all key elements of my communication approach.
I apologise in advance for metaphors and analogies involving Luas tracks and train drivers, houses vs mobile homes, and burglar alarms and grannies.
I am pragmatic, not academic.
Organisations seldom need ‘perfect’ solutions – They take too long.
‘Good enough’ may be the immediate need, with ‘great’ as a longer-term goal.
My guidance is always pragmatic, and tailored to the needs and capabilities of the organisation.
It’s not about technology. It’s about business outcomes.
Should we have a conversation?
- Connect with me on LinkedIn.
- Call me at (01) 554 6268. If I am unable to answer, just leave your contact details and I will call you back.
- Get in touch using the form below.